Call Today!

212.406.1700

Carbon Monoxide Leak Overcomes 32 People in Tribeca

A likely carbon monoxide leak in the basement below Amish Market in Tribeca resulted in 32 people becoming overcome by the deadly gas.  The incident occurred at the intersection of Murray Street and West Broadway and the Amish Market was shut down as dozens of fire crews responded to a call for a carbon monoxide leak, according to a report by CBS New York. The entire building was evacuated as dangerous carbon monoxide levels due to a broken boiler were found in the basement up to the third floor of the 12 story luxury apartment building above the market. Victims were sent to local area hospitals, the extent of the injuries is unknown.

Carbon monoxide poisoning results in multiple deaths and injuries each year.  Often, these tragedies occur due to a defective or improperly-maintained boiler which could give rise to a lawsuit based upon a products liability claim or a premises maintenance claim.  Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas produced as a byproduct of combustion.  Inhalation in sufficient quantities and over a sufficient length of time can prove fatal to humans.

Our Partner, Christopher L. Sallay, has significant experience in litigating a products liability and wrongful death claim arising out of a defective/improperly maintained boiler.  In fact, Chris achieved a $3,785,333.34 settlement in Sullivan County, New York in a complicated wrongful death action sounding in products liability and general negligence after several years of strongly‑contested litigation. This case arose from the multiple deaths from carbon monoxide asphyxiation due to a malfunctioning boiler. Among the issues in the case was the dispute between the boiler manufacturer and the company that installed/serviced the subject boiler as to who was responsible for this tragedy. During the extensive discovery process, Chris was able to demonstrate that various parties bore culpability resulting in a favorable resolution on behalf of a young woman who lost both of her parents.

If you, or a loved one, have sustained an injury or been killed due to a faulty furnace/boiler or a defective or hazardous product do not hesitate to contact the New York law office of Queller, Fisher, Washor, Fuchs & Kool today to schedule a free consultation appointment, during which we will assess the strength and validity of your claim. Call us today at 212-406-1700 or contact us on-line.

Categories