Call Today!

212.406.1700

Carbon Monoxide Scare in Queens

As reported by CBS New York, 5 people were hospitalized following a Carbon Monoxide leak in Queens, New York. The exact cause and source of this poisoning is not yet known.

In homes and other buildings, Carbon Monoxide(CO) comes from the boiler or furnace as a result of the burning of a fuel source. Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that can build up indoors and poison people who breathe it. Symptoms of CO poisoning can include, headaches, nausea, dizziness, and confusion. If the levels of CO are high enough, and the exposure occurs for enough time, CO poisoning can be fatal.

What causes carbon monoxide to be released into the atmosphere? CO is what is called a "byproduct of combustion." It is produced whenever a fuel is burned. It is normally vented to the outside where it mixes with the regular air and is rendered essentially harmless. However, when CO is released into a closed space due to a faulty boiler, a faulty ventilation system or any number of reasons, the results can be catastrophic.

This can be due to negligence on the part of the manufacturer of the heating product in question, the negligence of the installation/service company, a mis-use of the product or other extrinsic factors.

These types of cases can combine multiple aspects of personal injury law including premises liability, products liability, negligence and wrongful death.

If someone you love has been injured or died as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning, Queller, Fisher, Washor, Fuchs & Kool will give you a free consultation to see if you have grounds for a lawsuit. To see if compensation is available to you, call 212-406-1700 or fill out our case review form.

Categories